Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil Risotto
Creamy risotto can be served as a main dish or along side beef or chicken. This version boasts rich mushroom and sage flavors. Perfect for holiday dinners or as a vegetarian main course. This recipe comes to us from Chef James Frese.
- 2 c Risotto (Carnaroli or Arborio)
- 2 c Porcini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 c Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 White onion finely diced
- 1 T + 3 T Butter
- 1 T + more to finish Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil
- 1 c white wine
- 4 leaves sage
- 6 1/4 c vegetable broth
- 1. Melt 1 T butter with 1 T Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil in a large pan, add onion, sage and cook over medium heat stirring every few minutes with a wooden spoon.
- 2. Have the vegetable broth boiling in a separate pan, next to the risotto.
- 3. When onions are translucent, add mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
- 4. Add the risotto rice and heat the rice, stirring until hot to touch. Add in the wine and deglaze the pan. Reduce the wine down until the pan is dry. Add in the boiling broth and allow to reduce until dry. Continue ladeling in broth, stirring and reduce until dry. Slowly the rise will release its starch and create a cream with the liquid.
- 5. When rice is al dente (about 18 minutes), more broth if necessary for consistency, add butter and Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Stir well and drizzle with Wild Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil to finish.