Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Chowder
- All Year
- 1 hour 30-45 minutes
- Serves 6-8
The Saratoga Olive Oil Co. chowder recipe for Chowderfest 2019!
Meatballs, like the weather, are not always predictable. Saratoga Olive Co. forecasts a cloudy blend of grass-fed beef and lean pork with occasional splashes of Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar and Herbes de Provence Olive Oil. To finish, a sprinkle of French Citrus Fennel Sea Salt rounds out the amazing flavors. We predict an herbaceous chowder with a chance of occasional flavor overload!
(Fellow chowderheads – meat ball recipe NOT included.)
- 2 cups cut young potatoes (skin on)
- 8 cups premium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) SOOC Herbes de Provence Olive Oil
- 2 cups cut shallots
- 1 1/2 cups cut fennel
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6-8 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons SOOC Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon SOOC French Citrus Fennel Sea Salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1. In a large soup pot, cook the diced potatoes in the chicken stock until tender.
- 2. Strain the potatoes from the stock, and reserve both the potatoes and the stock.
- 3. Put SOOC Herbes de Provence Olive Oil in the pot, add the onions, diced fennel, and cook until onions are translucent.
- 4. Add the mushrooms and sauté, add SOOC Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar.
- 5. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour turns golden.
- 6. Add the reserved chicken stock, a little at a time, whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- 7. Stir in the SOOC French Citrus Fennel Sea Salt, pepper and thyme, and let the chowder simmer for 45 minutes.
- 8. Add the potatoes, cream, and bring the chowder back to a simmer.
- 9. Ladle the chowder over meatball, finish with spoon of Tornado Vinaigrette (see instructions below).
- 10. Finish with a light sprinkle of SOOC French Citrus Fennel Salt.
- 11. Cover and refrigerate any leftover chowder for up to 3 days.
- 12. (Optional) Neapolitan Herbes de Provence Tornado Vinaigrette:
- 13. Mix a 1/4 cup each of Herbes de Provence Olive Oil and Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar. Add 1.5 tablespoons of Tuscan Herb Seasoning, 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and French Citrus Fennel Salt to taste. Shake vigorously until emulsified.